One of my new favorite cooking shows is
The Chew on ABC. Viewers can find ideas on family dinners, fun table settings, entertaining and parties, yummy holiday recipes, and more. The show is hosted by five individuals, all from different backgrounds, who bring something unique to each episode. One day when I visit New York I want to sit in the front row of the audience, so I can be one of their tasters. Everything always looks so yummy!
Each host on the show has his or her own cooking style. My two favorites, so far, are
Daphne Oz and
Carla Hall. Daphne, Dr. Oz's daughter, is very health conscious, and her nutrient-rich recipes are loaded with health benefits. Carla's southern upbringing plays a role in her cooking, and I would describe her food as 'warm and cozy'. It's just good, southern comfort food. Yum!
I am hooked on Daphne's 'Superfood Breakfast Smoothie'! It has psyllium husks, which keep you feeling full and help with digestion, and Ester-C to boost your immune system. You can make it your own by substituting your favorite fruit and fruit juice. It's a great way to start each day!
 |
| Click HERE for recipe. |
Tonight for dinner I made Carla's 'Mac & Cheese', and I loved how it turned out! It has a much different taste than the Kraft 'blue box' mac and cheese that we all loved as kids. I like to think of it as a more mature version :) Brandon said it was a little dry for him, so next time I'll probably put less macaroni in the cheese sauce and leave out the breadcrumbs. Making this dish was so fun, and I felt like a real chef when I was cooking it!
 |
Click HERE for recipe.
(This can also be made gluten free by using gluten free pasta,
gluten free flour, and leaving out the breadcrumbs.)
|
Happy cooking!!
I love that you have taken up cooking these scrumptious meals, and decorating your house, and blogging! And I'll tell you why: While unemployed for nearly 8 months after leaving Dell, there were days I felt sooo frustrated, confused, and doubtful. I (like you) knew God had a plan for my life, I just wished He would share that plan with me! :)
ReplyDeleteBut during those long days of searching for jobs and trying to stay busy while all my friends and family worked, someone told me to enjoy these days, because I would never have the opportunity again. I realized they were right - I had hours of free time every day! And I could choose what to do with them. So, I started by reading some good books I had always wanted to. Then, I wrote letters to people I'd been meaning to, caught up on months of journal keeping, started doing genealogy and researching my family history on the internet, started an exercise plan, visited family in other states, volunteered more at church, babysat for my friends so they could run errands and go on dates, and had some good movie nights and girl's night outs. I decided to take advantage of that time, (which now I recognize as so precious to me since I've started my new job and have a commute, and am gone from 7am to 7pm almost every day. After work I run to my scripture study class or the grocery store and fall into bed at night). I miss those carefree days sooo much, but also appreciate my opportunity to work at such an amazing place right now. I am just glad I made that 'limbo' time of my life as worth it as possible...
And I love that you are doing the same!
You will never get that free time to learn to cook like this, or decorate your house, or do all those little things you always meant to but couldn't because you didn't have time. Soon you'll have a job, or kids :) and that time will be swallowed up in other (amazing!) commitments and pursuits. I'm so glad God has given you this precious gift of time right now - I'm excited to keep following your blog and see all the new things you undertake!
-Desiree
Wow, Desiree! You are so sweet to share your thoughts! I have those days too, when I wish God would hurry up with his plan. But then He sends me people like you to remind me that this IS His plan. I know that when the next phase of life begins, I'll definitely be ready. And until then I'll keep finding fun ways to fill my days :) Thanks for reading!
ReplyDelete~Emily