Tuesday, September 25, 2012

10 Week YOU Challenge: Week 7

I don't know what I'm going to do when this link-up is over!
Can we just start back at 10 and do it again??

{via}

This week we're talking about books.
I've never been a big reader, but there are a few books that have had an impact on my life.



Bible
I admit that I haven't spent nearly as much time reading the Bible as I should. But over the past month or so I've made it part of my daily routine. At a time in life when a few things seemed unclear I learned that picking up my Bible didn't give me all of the answers, but it did give me a sense of peace.

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
When I started running last year I knew I needed help getting motivated, so I bought Born to Run. This book completely changed my outlook on running. Before starting the C25k program I had never run more than a few laps around the grassy field at St. Joseph's School. Because of my inexperience I was questioning whether or not I'd even be able to run. Born to Run taught me that not only was I able to, but I was born to. This book really gave me the confidence I needed to not only start running, but to keep running and not look back.

See You at the Top by Zig Ziglar
I had a {competitive} cheer coach in high school who read an excerpt from See You at the Top before every practice. I loved this part of practice, and each week I looked forward to what Zig would teach me. I eventually borrowed the book from my coach and read the whole thing. It is the best motivational book I've ever read.

Welcome to my Kitchen by Grandma Wenzel
First of all, Grandma Wenzel is my friend Courtney's grandma, but our families are so close that I claim her as my grandma, too. Grandma Wenzel is an amazing cook and one of the most organized people I know. She put together a cookbook of all her recipes for her kids and grand kids. I remember seeing Courtney's copy and thinking 'Man, I wish I could have one.' ...Fast forward a few months to one of my bridal showers... I had been opening one preselected-registry-gift after another, saying my usual 'thank-yous', when I came across Grandma Wenzel's gift. It was her cookbook. My very own copy. My eyes immediately filled with tears as I leaned over and hugged her. She was sitting right beside me, right where my own MaMaw or Grandma would have been sitting had they been there. This moment was so special, one I will never forget. Since then I have made so many meals and deserts from her cookbook. Of course, they are always delicious!

6 comments:

  1. The Bible does give you a great sense of peace!

    How awesome that your friend's grandma put together a cookbook like that. I wish my grandmother had done that. There are several recipes of hers that I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so incredibly sweet of what your friend's grandma did...I bet that meant the world to you!

    So you liked Born to Run? I've never read any running books, but it's crossed my mind. Does it have technical stuff about different types of runs, nutrition, etc or is it more motivational?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the Bible giving a sense of peace. I find that when I pick it up and start reading, I don't want to put it down. Especially the Old Testament bc it is so interesting. And now I want to read Born to Run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for good books to add to my list! I've only read the bible and it will definitely always be on my list. Don't worry, peace is the answer and it will help you make wonderful decisions.

    How amazing that you have such a wonderful cookbook! You'll have to share the recipes with everyone! There's nothing like a great tried and true favorite recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too sweet about that cookbook! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you chose the four books that had the most impact on your life.
    That is so awesome about the cook book! I could only imagine how happy and excited you were :D

    Stopping by from 10 Day YOU Challenge ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments.
Reading them truly makes my day!