Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tuesday Topics: My Hometown

"All hail to dear old Yoakum..." I thought I'd start with our high school alma mater lyrics, 
then I thought 'Hmmm... Better not.' {Pitch Perfect, anyone??}




Welcome to Yoakum, Texas!
Population: 5,847
{according to Google}



The small town in south Texas where you know everyone, and everyone knows what you do on the weekends. Just kidding. Sort of. 




There's not much to say about our town, other than we're the leather capitol of the world. 
Yeah, the world. We think it's a big deal. 


It's such a big deal that we have a festival once a year to celebrate. The last weekend in February we get together for "Land of Leather Days", a weekend-long craft show and chili cook-off. It's guaranteed to be cold and rainy every year, but don't worry. If you eat enough chili you'll stay warm.


Then in June we have our annual Tom Tom Festival. The festival originated to honor Yoakum's tomato industry. Get it? TOMato, Tom Tom?? Anyway, the weekend consists of a barbeque cook-off , live music, a parade through downtown Yoakum, a softball tournament that Brandon plays in every year, and most importantly...


The weenie dog race! Princess made her race debut in 2008, and after winning Ms. Congeniality she retired.  {Don't tell Princess, but there was really no Ms. Congeniality award. Since she was more interested in visiting with the crowd than actually running the race we gave her that title ourselves.}


On the weekends we enjoy live Texas country music at The Gin, our former feed store turned dance hall,

{via}


and in the summer we stand in line for up to thirty minutes to get one of the town's best sno cones.

{Funny Story: B and I used to ride our bikes here in junior high!}


But if you want to get a real feel for our town find a back yard or pasture where friends are gathered. They'll most likely be near a camp fire, toasting marshmallows and enjoying a game of washers or cornhole.

{Kayla and I at the camp house; October 2012}

{Shell, Maddie, Alicia; October 2012}


Life in Yoakum is pretty laid back, but if you stick around long enough you'll make friends that will last a lifetime.




{I'm linking up here today.}

4 comments:

  1. I bet that weenie dog face would put a smile on whoever might need it!

    Stopping by from Tuesday topics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh small town life! So much to do. :) I love how all across the U.S. there are festivals for everything you could imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love that the feed store was turned into a dance hall! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a sweet little fun town! I love TX country so I'm defintely jealous of the dance hall!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments.
Reading them truly makes my day!